Warm Banana Fritters a la Mode

Way back when I was 9 years old, we stayed in England for about 9 weeks while my father took some law school courses.  I have so many memories of that summer; the castles, the gardens with huge roses, the ancient buildings, the sea air, and of course, the food!  The English have wonderful, delectable desserts.
There was a cute little restaurant that had awesome warm blackberry pie with warm, thick rich custard sauce poured over the top.  I have been able to easily recreate that recipe with Marie Calendar’s Razzleberry Pie and homemade warm custard.
Another food memory was eating banana fritters at a restaurant near the Southampton Garden Maze.  I have attempted to recreate the recipe a few times.  Sometimes I sautee the bananas and use a touch of warm maple syrup over them, other times I go for the full fat!
This time I prepared a batter, sliced then dipped the bananas in the batter, then fried them in hot oil.  It wasn’t exactly what I remembered, but it was ooooo!  so good.
Here’s the recipe I used, courtesy of Food.com:

Ingredients:

Servings
3-4

Directions:

Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 24 mins
  1. Sift 1 cup flour with sugar, salt and baking powder.
  2. Mix egg and milk.
  3. Add to flour mixture gradually, stirring until smooth.
  4. Add shortening.
  5. Peel bananas, cutting crosswise into halves or quarters.
  6. Roll in remaining flour.
  7. Cover with batter.
  8. Fry in hot, deep fat (375°F) for 4-6 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts