Holy Blackberries, Batman! It's the Cobbler!



Today I picked 7 1/2 pounds of blackberries at one of our local You Pick Farms. If you would like to find a farm near you to pick your own local produce, go to Pick Your Own Farms.  This website is chock-full of information about local farms, how to pick the best produce and how to can, freeze and preserve your own foods.  Always be sure to call the farm before you go, because some farms may be out of produce and may not have had good crops.

 I went to The Berry Farm in Spencer County. They have blackberries, tomatoes, cabbage, squash, grapes, pears, apples, corn...ooohhhhhh it was wonderful.  I picked up some cabbage and picked some of the first tomatoes off the vine.  Oh, they were so wonderful, sliced with some salt.  Mmmm.  But I was on a mission to pick blackberries.  I could not believe that nobody else was out there fighting for these lucious, sweet, juicy gems!  I was ALL alone!  (I was so lucky!)  I was just hoping I wouldn't pass out in the heat and nobody would find me until I was cooked through.  Alas, I stayed hydrated and survived.  Maybe I lost a few pounds!

I froze about half of the berries.  I saved enough to do one batch of jam.  Then I used a few to make a wonderful blackberry cobbler.  I used Southern Living's Easy Blackberry Cobbler Recipe.  You can use any fruit for this recipe. It took me literally 5 minutes to put the cobbler together.  How easy is that?!

First, I put 4 cups of ripe blackberries into an 8x8 pan.  I sprinkled some sugar and 1 TBSP of lemon juice over the top of the blueberries.  In my mixer, I combined 1 c flour, 1 c sugar and 1 egg and beat it until crumbly.

I sprinkled it over the top of the blackberries, then poured 6 TBSP of melted butter over the top.  I added some Saigon Cinnamon and nutmeg to the top.


Bake at 375 for 35 minutes.  It actually took about 10 minutes longer and turned out kind of crunchy.  Served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and YUM...perfect ending to a perfect summer day.  You really should make some. Now.


Comments

  1. My mouth is watering just thinking about it... can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I am crazy for blackberry cobbler. Just wish I could crawl through the computer & have a bite!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I too am crazy for blackberries! Please pass the cobbler! Thanks for the receipe!

    Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Overstock.com Gift Card Giveaway!! Hometalk has said if I get 500 entries, they will increase the Gift Card to $100.

    Honey

    ReplyDelete
  4. We grow blackberries. My husband does all the cooking. I sent him this recipe. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts